Work at St. Andrew
Title: Buildings and Maintenance Helper & Janitor
Purpose and Scope
Under the direct supervision of the Buildings and Maintenance Supervisor, this position is responsible for maintaining the parish grounds, buildings and operational equipment in top condition.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsibilities include cleaning of the church, classrooms and hall after every scheduled activity as well as the restoration of chairs, tables and general appearance of each and every classroom or other space. Generally this involves vacuuming, sweeping, dusting, washing windows, maintaining supplies in rest rooms, maintaining custodial supplies and equipment and sanitizing all areas.
- Collects and disposes of trash and garbage on a daily basis in all buildings. Cleans and sanitizes all offices.
- This position is responsible for notifying management concerning need for major repairs. Subsequently, for planning and execution of any needed repair, painting or other maintenance to ensure the buildings maintain a “like new” appearance and operational capability.
- Supports all events scheduled within the parish grounds in terms of room set-up, take down and restoration for activities ranging from small meetings to funeral receptions to farewell parties, etc.
- Checks the scheduled work board and with the Maintenance Supervisor upon arrival each day to determine if any high priority work is required. Is available via cell phone to both the Buildings and Maintenance Supervisor and Pastor at any time for special needs.
- Manages and performs tasks related to closing down the facility and setting the security alarm.
Additional Job Functions
- Performs any necessary job-related tasks assigned by the Pastor.
- Promotes a positive team attitude with employees and volunteers.
- Adheres to all Diocesan policies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Must have initiative, creativity, and sensitivity to the needs of people.
- Takes initiative in identifying and addressing any items requiring attention from a maintenance viewpoint.
- Must have good interpersonal skills and familiarity with the Church as an organization. Must work effectively with and collaborate with the pastor, parishioners and parish staff.
- Physical Demands: Must work both outside and inside performing manual tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Has an in depth understanding of the facilities and operating systems.
- Maintains strict confidentiality in all matters.
- Must have a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED.
- Diocesan employment requirements must be met.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Good organizational and communication skills.
This position is part-time and non-exempt and requires approximately 25 hours a week. Must have a valid Arizona driver’s license and have own transportation. Employee is subject to the personnel policies of the Diocese of Phoenix for parish personnel.
Submit resume to email@example.com.