The altar servers help to create an atmosphere of reverence during the procession and help the presider during the mass so the presider may give his full attention to leading the congregation through the celebration. Specific responsibilities are to carry the cross, the processional candles, hold the Sacramentary or other prayer book for the priest celebrant when he is not at the altar, carry the incense and censer, prepare the altar for the Liturgy of the Eucharist, help with hand washing of the priest during the preparation of the gifts, and assist the priest celebrant and deacon as necessary. Altar servers may also be needed to serve for special liturgies, weddings, funerals, and Stations of the Cross. In order to participate in this ministry, requirements include the following:
- Family should be registered as members of the parish;
- Received First Eucharist;
- Be of fourth grade school level student or older;
- Attend formation and training;
- Commit to serving at least one mass each month.
Guidelines of Altar Serving
- Know when you are scheduled to serve. Keep your email address updated or pick up a schedule from the altar server box in the back hallway.
- If your are unable to serve on the day you are scheduled, please arrange for a substitute.
- Be at church at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled Mass start time.
- Sign the Check in sheet.
- Check with the Mass Parent for any questions or special instructions.
- Wear light colored clothing under the alb. Stay away from clothing that has writing on it, sometimes this can show through the alb and may be distracting to the community.
- Shoes and socks must be neat and clean. Flip-flops are not allowed. If you wear sandals they should have a strap on the heel of the sandal. Ensure your shoelaces are tied. This is for your safety, you will be walking up and down steps.
- Check Calendar, ask Mass parent, or check with presider on which color of cincture to wear.
Opportunities for Adults
Consider sharing yourself and your gifts with the community as an active member of the Altar Server Ministry. There are several different ways you can participate.
- Mass Parents: Ensures there are 3 altar servers ready for Mass and that the servers are in their albs with the correct color cincture. The Mass parent also helps the children get lined up for Mass and answers their questions or gives them any special instructions needed.
- Reminder Callers: Calls the altar servers scheduled to serve at the next Mass to remind them they are on the schedule. Only responsible for one Mass.
- Alb Washers: Picks up a group of albs from the church and takes them home to wash. Ironing is not needed so long as the albs are hung up coming out of the dryer. This would be done on a rotating schedule about every month or so, dependant on how many washers are available.
- Seamstress: On occasion our albs are in need of a zipper or hem to be fixed or replaced. Amount of time this may require would vary dependant on need.
- Party Planner: Our altar servers work hard sharing themselves with their community. Someone who could plan and organize a party or event to celebrate them would be greatly appreciated.
Contact Sandra or Mark Messer for requirements and more information about our next Altar Server Training.
We are looking for volunteers for masses during the weekends. Please view or volunteer for an open position!